Your car tires must be filled to the appropriate pressure to ensure your on-road safety. If it gets overfilled, you must learn how to let the air out of the tire.
In this guide, we will cover how to let the air out of the car tire. We will also examine different types, such as how to let the air out of a bike tire.
Page Contents (Click Icon To Open/Close)
Why It Is Bad To Over Inflate Your Tires?
Signs Your Tires Could Be Over Inflated
How To Check If Your Tire Pressure Is Correct
Before you learn how to let the air out of your tires, you need to know what the pressure is. With your tire gauge, you want to follow these steps.
- 1Take the air valve cap off of the tire. Make sure you put it in a safe location.
- 2Push the gauge onto the open stem for a second. You may hear a slight hiss.
- 3Read the gauge. Manual gauges have a dial that points to the appropriate number, while a digital gauge shows the reading.
- 4Compare this reading with what's recommended to determine if it needs air.
- 5Replace the valve stem cap.
How To Let Air Out Of Tires (DIY Deflation Guide For Cars & Trucks)
If you want to know how to let the air out of the tires, you must first figure out what the pressure should be. This information can be found on the tires or the driver's side door jamb. Smaller cars are going to require less air pressure than a big truck or SUV.
If you need to reduce the pressure by a little, it's time to learn how to let the air out of the tires with a tire gauge. Follow these steps.
- 1Remove the valve stem on the tire. Put the cap in a safe location, so you don't lose it.
- 2On your air pressure tool, you can use the nipple to release the air pressure. You should hear the air releasing from the tire.
- 3Check the pressure often to ensure you don't take out too much air. You want to stop once you reach the recommended PSI (pounds per square inch).
- 4Replace the valve stem cap once the tire is at the right measurement.
If you want to know how to let the air out of the tire without a gauge, simply grab a flathead screwdriver and push on the metal pin at the center of the stem. It should start releasing air.
Full Deflation (Fast)
If you need to know, "how can I let air out of my tires fast," you need to start by jacking it up. If you plan to deflate the entire tire, you need it to be off of the ground. Here are the steps you want to follow when learning how to let air out of the tires fast.
- 1With a floor jack, carefully lift the vehicle. Place jack stands in the appropriate location for safety purposes.
- 2Unscrew the stem's metal pin, and the tire will deflate much faster. You will need a thin needle nose plier or valve stem remover to turn the pin counter clockwise. Put this pin in a safe location, so you don't lose it.
- 3Once you have finished deflating the tires, you can reinsert the pin so you know where it is.
Do not put the vehicle back on the ground until you have fully inflated tires installed. Otherwise, you risk damage to the rim, suspension components, and other vital parts.
Letting The Air Out At Gas Station
If you've put too much air in at a free or paid-for station, you want to know how to let the air out of a tire at a gas station. With a flathead screwdriver, you need to push on the pin inside the valve stem.
Then, use the tire pressure gauge on the air inflator or your own to monitor how much air is left inside of the tires. Once you reach the recommended amount, stop letting air out.
Car Tire Air FAQs
How much air should you let out of tires when driving on sand?
You want to reduce tire pressure when driving on sand to increase traction. If you don't know how much air to let out of tires on sand, aim to reduce the pressure by 15 to 20 PSI in most tires.
How do you deflate a road bike tire?
The steps showing how to let the air out of a bike tire mimic that of a regular automotive tire. Push the pin inside the stem to slowly reduce the air pressure.
Do car tires naturally lose air?
Osmosis and temperature changes can cause the tires to lose air pressure over time. That's why you should check the tire pressures at least once a month and fill them up as needed.
How do I stop someone else from letting air out of my tires?
The best way to prevent another person from learning how to let the air out of someone's tires is to set up cameras or surveillance of your vehicle. Once you have them breaking the law, you can turn them into the local authorities.
Now that you know how to let the air out of a car tire, you are ready to regulate the pressures and maintain the tread for optimal on-road safety. Check the pressures often and remove air whenever the pressure is too high.