Mold isn’t just annoying; it can be dangerous to your health. Because of this, you don’t want any mold lurking in your vehicle. We will show you how to get rid of mold in a car. Our complete guide touches on numerous subjects, including how to get rid of mold in the car air conditioner, as well as how to get rid of mold in the carpet of a car.
If you’ve been wondering how to get rid of mold smell in car, you might also be trying to figure out how it got there in the first place. Several issues can cause mold to grow in the vehicle, plus it is capable of growing across many different surface types. Here are some of the main causes of mold growth in a vehicle.
All of these factors can lead to damage, leaving you to figure out how to get rid of mold in your car.
How Dangerous Is Mold to Your Health?
You want to know how to get rid of mold in the car because of how dangerous it can be to your health. If the mold isn’t removed right away, it can lead to the following symptoms, according to the CDC.
Additionally, black mold can be toxic. If left untreated, it can cause:
With most mold patches appearing black, you wonder what is the difference between black mold and regular mold? Regular mold can appear very quickly, while black mold takes weeks to form. Additionally, black mold is much more dangerous to your health, as illustrated in the above symptoms.
How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Car (Step by Step Guide)
Before you learn how to get rid of black mold in car, you want to take some special safety precautions.
You also want to have some materials on hand when you are wondering “how to get rid of mold in my car.”
If you want to know how to get rid of mold in the car interior, you can follow these steps. Not only can you learn how to get rid of mold in car carpet, but how to also remove it from the floor and upholstery.
- 1Test your chosen product on a small area first. Make sure the product won’t have an adverse effect on the material.
- 2Scrub the area with your chosen cleaner.
- 3With salt or clove oil, you can leave the solution to sit on the area until it becomes crusty.
- 4Vacuum up the area and allow it to air dry.
- 5Exposing the site to sunlight will help dry it and kill any remaining mold.
- 6Take steps to prevent the regrowth of mold in that location.
The same steps can be followed if you want to know how to get rid of mold in the trunk of a car.
- 1Test out your product on a small part of the trunk first.
- 2Scrub the affected area.
- 3Vacuum up the solution and allow the area to air dry.
- 4If you can leave the trunk open, the sunlight will help dry it faster. Don’t close the trunk lid with a wet interior unless you have to. This will only lead to the regrowth of mold.
- 5Take steps to keep mold from growing in your trunk again.
Car’s AC Vents
To learn how to get rid of mold smell in car vents, consider purchasing a commercial automotive odor removal product. If the odors aren’t severe, you can also use Lysol or vinegar and water.
- 1Turn on the vehicle and put the A/C on max blast.
- 2Spray the disinfectant into each vent.
- 3Spray some into the recirculation vent.
- 4Allow the A/C to run several minutes on full speed.
- 5Replace the cabin air filter, which should be done periodically per your service schedule anyway.
If the odors come back, you can retreat the system with the same steps.
How to Prevent Mold Growth in Your Car (Long Term)
If you don’t want to follow the steps of learning how to get rid of mold in car AC or figuring out how to get rid of mold on the carpet in a car again, you should follow these maintenance tips.
People Also Ask (FAQs)
How much does it cost to get mold out of a car?
If you don’t want to figure out how to get rid of mold and mildew in a car but would rather trust the professionals, you are looking at an average cost of around $1,200. Of course, the price depends on the severity of mold and how much work needs to be done.
How do you get mold spores off car paint?
The steps are similar to when you learned how to get rid of mold on a car floor. Use a little olive oil and a rag to wipe down the area. You could also wipe it off with white vinegar. Just make sure you wash the area off when you are finished.
Does alcohol kill mold?
Yes, you can use alcohol if you want to learn how to get rid of mold in car upholstery. However, you will need a high concentration of alcohol, and it could discolor the fabric.
Will mold die if it dries out?
The mold could become inactive when dried out. However, it never fully goes away unless it is completely removed from the environment. You must learn how to get rid of mold in car trunk if you want to be sure it is gone.
How do professionals remove mold?
Professionals have all the tools to get your car looking like new, anything from car polishers to cleaning tools. Unlike the steps where you learned how to get rid of mold in carpet in a car, a professional will follow the same path, but using commercial equipment, such as dehumidifiers, vacuums, air scrubbers, and cleaners.
Not only do you know how to get rid of mold smell in car AC, but you should also be able to remove it from the interior after following our guide. It’s time to take charge of your car’s appearance and your health by riding the area of mold once and for all.