Gasoline is a vital part of your vehicle, but it can also be dangerous. If you don’t know how to dispose of old gas, you could be putting people at risk and possibly hurt the environment or animals.
In this handy guide, we discuss how to dispose of old gas cans and the fluid that might be left inside.
How To Determine If Your Gas Is Too Old (Dangers Discussed)
You might be asking yourself, “How long can gas sit in a car before it goes bad” or “Is 2 year old gasoline still good?” Oxidized fuel is going to be darker than fresh gas. It might also have a sour smell. Pour some of the gas into a clear container and compare it with fresh fuel.
There’s no hard date on when gas will go bad. Part of this is because you don’t know how long the fuel sat at the pump or how long it took to get from the refinery to the station. However, it’s often recommended not to leave gas to sit in the tank for more than a few months.
Using old gas poses the following risks:
As gas becomes old, some of the chemicals begin to evaporate, leaving you with a heavier fuel. This gas will be harder to ignite, leaving you with engine performance issues.
Gas reacts with air, causing oxidation to occur. When this happens, the chemical composition of the gas might change, causing damage to your engine.
Temperature changes lead to condensation, which leads to rust contamination of the lines or tank. You could look at a costly repair if you leave condensation in the fuel system.
How To Dispose Of Old Gasoline Properly (& Safely)
Not only do you want to know how to dispose of old gas properly, but it’s important to learn how to dispose of old gasoline safely too. By following these steps, you will learn how to dispose of old gasoline.
- 1Find a disposal center near you. You can search for a “hazardous waste disposal center” in your area or call the county offices. Your local fire department might even be able to offer some advice.
- 2Talk to your local repair shops. Some of the mechanics in the area might take it for a fee since they dispose of these fluids regularly.
- 3Transfer the fuel to a government-certified gas container. You will need a funnel to get the gas in without spilling any.
- 4Clean up any gas spills. If you spilled it on your clothes, you could use baking soda and water to remove it. Gas spills on the driveway can be cleaned up with kitty litter.
- 5Drop off the gasoline. Drive carefully and make sure nothing spills along the way. Also, don’t smoke while you are near the gasoline.
If you need to know how to dispose of old gas and oil, you can follow the same steps. Just make sure the disposal center knows you are looking to figure out how to dispose of an old gas/oil mix, so they can put it in the proper location.
Need to maintain your engine? Check our our guide on the best oil filters for all vehicle types.
How to Remove Old Gas from Your Cars Gas Tank?
Can I mix old gas with new gas? Yes, if it isn’t too old and doesn’t appear contaminated. However, it might be best to remove the old gas with these methods instead.
Draining a gas tank using a siphon pump
- 1Open the fuel filler door and take off the cap.
- 2Feed the end of the tubing into the fuel filler neck until it reaches the tank.
- 3Pump the fuel into your storage tank.
- 4Do this until all of the fuel is drained.
- 5Dispose of the fuel properly.
Draining a gas tank using the fuel tank drain plug
The majority of cars do not contain a fuel tank drain plug, but if yours does, you can follow these steps.
- 1Raise one back wheel and secure it with a jack stand.
- 2Set the parking brake and use wheel chocks to prevent rolling.
- 3Remove the drain plug to the fuel tank.
- 4Allow the fuel to flow into your drain pan.
- 5Replace the drain plug and dispose of the old gas.
How NOT to Dispose of Old Gasoline
Whether you are figuring out how to dispose of old 2 cycle gasoline or the fuel in your car, you want to ensure maximum safety. Follow these tips for your protection.
People Also Ask (FAQs)
Does AutoZone take old gas?
Even though AutoZone takes old oil and batteries, they won’t dispose of gasoline. To get rid of fuel or to learn how to dispose of an old car gas tank, you want to contact the local county offices.
How much does it cost to dispose of old gas?
For the most part, you should only need to pay for the fuel to get to the waste department. However, a few private companies might charge a small fee.
Can you rejuvenate/repurpose old gasoline? If so, how?
You cannot rejuvenate the gas, but you can use a fuel stabilizer to keep it from getting worse. Some performance additives will help retain the existing properties of the fuel for further use.
Can I let old gas evaporate?
It will evaporate if left outside. However, gasoline fumes are flammable and will easily ignite. This isn’t the best idea, especially close to any building or house.
Can I burn old gas?
You should never burn gasoline as it is very dangerous. You won’t be able to do it safely and might even end up with the fire department at your house.
Can I throw away a gas can?
No. You should never throw a gas can in your regular trash. Instead, it should be taken to the same waste treatment center that you disposed of the fuel.
If you have old gasoline sitting around, there’s no reason to keep it any longer. Find the local drop spot for hazardous materials in your area and rid yourself of this dangerous fuel.