Your car battery will inevitably die at the most inopportune time. When you get stranded, you might be asking yourself - how to charge my car battery without a charger. We will look at various ways to get your automotive battery running again so you can learn how to charge a car battery without a charger.
Ways Of Charging A Car Battery Without A Charger
Jumpstarting With Another Vehicle/Car
If you have a set of jumper cables on hand, you can learn how to charge a car battery without another car.
- 1Place vehicles facing one another. Open both hoods.
- 2Connect the red cable to the positive terminal on the dead battery.
- 3Connect the other red cable to the positive terminal of the good battery.
- 4Attach the black cables to the negative terminals of both batteries.
- 5Start the working vehicle and allow it to run for a minute.
- 6Try to start the dead vehicle.
- 7Disconnect the cables in the opposite order.
- 8Drive your car for at least twenty minutes to ensure the alternator charges the battery.
Here’s a helpful YouTube video for more illustration.
If you want to know how to charge a car battery without a charger, consider using your laptop charger. While this isn’t a preferred method, it will get you by in a pinch.
You can also learn how to charge a dead car battery without a charger if you use a wall outlet and inverter. Most home inverters are rated for 12-volt batteries. Just keep in mind that the inverter needs to be powered off, while you leave the main supply on. Also, it's best not to use an extension cord.
But, do you know how to charge a car battery without a car or electricity? If you drive a manual transmission vehicle, you can push start the car.
- 1Have some friends handy to push the car.
- 2Get behind the driver’s seat and turn the ignition on.
- 3Push in the clutch and shift into second gear.
- 4Release the parking brake and brake pedal.
- 5Tell your friends to push.
- 6Once you reach five mph, abruptly release the clutch.
- 7If the engine doesn’t start, repeat the process, but go faster.
- 8If it still doesn’t start, the battery might be completely dead and require reconditioning.
Car Battery Care Tips
If you maintain your car battery, it’s less likely that you will end up stranded. Here are a few battery tips.
People Also Ask (FAQs)
What happens to car battery if not used for a long time?
The alternator helps keep the battery charged while it runs. If you don’t run your vehicle, the battery slowly loses its charge. You may go out to start the car only to find out that the battery is dead.
Can a completely dead car battery be recharged without a battery charger?
You may wonder how to charge a dead car battery without another car. If the battery is dead and requires replacement, you won’t be able to do this. With another vehicle, you should be able to recharge a dead battery, as long as it is still good.
How long will it take to charge a car battery using the alternative methods provided?
As you look at how to recharge car batteries without a charger, the total time each method takes will depend on how dead the battery is and how much voltage is being provided.
We’ve looked at how to charge a car battery without a battery charger, ensuring that you have multiple options the next time you are stranded. However, the best way to keep your battery in optimal condition is to ensure you are never in this position.