The Top 5 Tig Welders For Aluminum Reviewed
If you ever need to weld aluminum for a DIY project, for contracting purposes or even just for a hobby, then a Tungsten Inert Gas welder (or a TIG welder) is the perfect solution. A TIG welder gives you ample precision that is perfect for welding aluminum, but can be rather difficult to use if you’re not willing to put a bit of time into learning how to use it. However, once you’ve grown accustomed to using a TIG welder, you’ll see that you can work much more efficiently especially if you purchase a model with all of the features that you’ll need.
So without further ado, here are five of the best TIG welders available on the market today.
Best TIG Welders For Aluminum
Lincoln is no stranger when it comes to offering excellent customer service and quality products. This clearly shows in the Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG 200, one of the most popular TIG welders currently available on the market by Lincoln. With a number of advanced features and a wealth of included accessories, it’s one of the more complete packages available which makes it the perfect set for someone new to TIG welding.
It’s one of the more expensive TIG welders on this list, but it’s definitely no slouch when it comes to performance and features. While it is rather bulky (most TIG welders are) it’s an incredibly versatile machine that can handle both small and larger fabrication projects. If you’re coming from another aluminum welding solution such as a portable MIG welder then it may be strange needing to carry around a box, but it’s something that you’ll definitely be able to get used to thanks to the fairly light weight.
Setting up the Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG 200 isn’t very tricky at all and the controls can easily be operated even if you’re wearing relatively thick gloves. It does come with a manual but it’s simple enough to know how to operate the welder. Overall, this is a fantastic piece of machinery for anyone that needs a TIG welder for hobby or even production purposes. It’s extremely portable compared to some alternatives, it has a good amount of adjustability and for the price (again, despite being the most expensive on this list) you’re getting features that would be found on a TIG welder two or three times the price of this one.
- Advanced features yet easy to use
- A great TIG machine for aluminum
- TIG and stick from one power source
- Take it Everywhere, Plug in Anywhere.TM
The AHP AlphaTIG 200X has recently seen a 2018 refresh which makes this a great time to invest in one should you need a slightly larger TIG welder. In the box, you’ll find a plethora of useful accessories that are standard when it comes to TIG welders, so this is a rather complete package that can be recommended to anyone regardless if they’re a hobbyist or a production company that is replacing an existing welder.
When compared to other TIG welders at this price, the AHP AlphaTIG 200X does a fantastic job and is considered on-par with alternatives. The machine does have a lower limit of 10 amps which can be tricky to work with if you’re trying to bind thin aluminum pieces. For more delicate processes you may need to reconsider, but if you have the right technique and are careful and patient, then this welder is perfectly fine for more delicate jobs. Otherwise, the controls and output are responsive and there’s very little to complain about.
The AHP AlphaTIG 200X has a reputation of being one of the more dependable aluminum welders available. It’s obviously not the most expensive or most premium-quality welder around but if you’re in need of a TIG welder for an acceptable price then this is a fantastic choice. It will provide you with many years of service which is fine for on and off work, but if you’re a power user that needs extreme reliability to use as part of your job, then a budget TIG welder such as the AHP AlphaTIG 200X is perhaps not the best choice. Thankfully, AHP has excellent customer support which makes it very easy to get assistance and seek replacement parts. So despite the low cost, there is the bonus of having a surprisingly effective customer service that will take care of you.
- 2018 models are in ! 200HRTZ on PULSE FREQ AND AC FREQ and NEW TORCH
- will do 1/4" aluminum and 3/8" mild stee and 110/220 volts and is capable of welding 7018, 6013
- Advanced Inverter Technology with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Using IGBT technology
- quality TIG welding on aluminum, stainless or steel and precise welding of thinner-gauge materials
- unit features HF start tig and includes a foot pedal for great tig welding control and Operation
As another budget TIG welder, the Lotos TIG200ACDC seems to have some very familiar features and accessories that you would typically find on other models around this price range. However, what you’ll find surprising about this relatively inexpensive welder is that it can hold up surprisingly well even if you’re putting several hours of use into it every day. It’s a surprisingly great choice for anyone that wants to learn TIG welding on smaller projects and the controls are intuitive enough that you won’t need to struggle with a manual just to learn how the machine works.
Regardless if you’re just a hobbyist or run a fabrication shop, this is a reliable TIG welder that will offer you many years of service. Even if you push it to its limits and use it exclusively with the highest power draw, it will continue to soldier on and be as reliable as the first day you purchased it. A notable omission is the lack of pulse and variable frequency settings, but for most hobby and light uses, these are simply luxury features that aren’t enough to detract from the very enticing price of the Lotos TIG200ACDC and also the convenience of being able to swap between settings with a single knob. This hands-on and convenient functionality of the welder makes it the go-to choice for many hobbyists simply because it’s not confusing to use.
So if you’re simply just looking for a reliable no-thrills TIG welder, the Lotos TIG200ACDC is a fantastic choice at a very good price range. It’s packaged with everything you need, it’ll last you many years and it’s the perfect machine to start learning how to use a TIG welder.
- ALUMINUM WELDING--200A AC Square-wave inverter for accurate aluminum welding.
- RATED OUTPUT: Maximum 200AMP AC/DC TIG Electric Current Output; Quality TIG welding on Aluminum, Stainless or Steel and Precise Welding of Thinner-gauge Materials; Power efficiency: 80%.
- PRECISE WELDING-- HF start hand torch control and precise foot pedal welding heat control. Suitable for welding stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and other metal materials.
- STICK/MMA WELDER: 15-200AMP DC Stick/MMA Electric Current Output; Easy ARC Start, Stable Welding Arc; Deep Weld Pool and Beautiful Welding Shape; Adjustable Hot Striking Arc Current which Can Greatly Improve the Arc-Starting Function; Suitable for Welding with Different Kinds of Acid or Basic Electrode.
- PAPST ADVANCED COOLING SYSTEM: ensures the plasma cutter have a stable and durable high performance.
The Hobart 500551 EZ-TIG is a TIG welder that knows its target audience. With a host of commonly-used accessories included in the box and a simple control dial that allows you to change the thickness, simply plug it in and you’re ready to weld. It supports both AC and DC welding so you can easily switch between the materials you’re working on, it’s very small and portable enough to take with you on specific jobs and it’s manufactured in the United States which is always a positive.
This is the type of welder you purchase if you know that you need a welder for simple projects, but don’t want to fuss with the many different features that welders have. It’s an affordable piece of kit that has enough functionality and customisation that you won’t ever feel like you’re missing out on a higher-end welder. It’s also surprisingly durable and Hobart have offered some excellent support in the past, making them a reputable and trustworthy company that is worth your hard-earned money.
In short, a shining recommendation for anyone that just needs a simpler. Yes, it will probably lack some of the more modern features that you see on welders that are two to three times the price of the Hobart 500551 EZ-TIG, but there’s no denying just how convenient this welder is and how simple the operation can be. It works fantastic, it can weld both steel and aluminum and it’s affordable.
- Easy-to-Use Interface; All you need to do is power it up, select your material, and set the material thickness range
- Fan-On-Demand feature allows the fan to run only when needed, reducing dust/debris pulled into the unit
- Welds 22 ga up to 3/16 in. both AC (aluminum) and DC
- HF start to allow for a non-contact arc start to eliminate tungsten and material contamination
- Infinite Amperage Control provides broader operating range with finer control
Amico has a reputation for making some incredibly durable and effective welders, but their Amico MTS-205 TIG welder is often overlooked due to competing brands in this space. However, one look at this welder and you can immediately see that it’s targeted towards beginners and professionals alike. With a massive set of accessories, plenty of adjustable settings and Amico’s reputation to back it up, this is arguably one of the most complete TIG welder packages available on the market today.
One of the first things you’ll immediately notice upon unboxing the Amico MTS-205 is the high quality of the accessories. While including accessories with a TIG welder is not a big deal, including high-quality accessories that you would typically need to pay a lot of extra money for is always a bonus and an attractive perk for beginners or those that don’t currently own a TIG welder and are considering investing in one. You may also notice that the size is a tad bit smaller than other TIG welders. This doesn’t hurt its performance and in fact, helps with its durability.
However, the manual is no good and the Amico MTS-205, despite having so many accessories and a great entry price, may require some experience to start using at its maximum potential. In short, while Amico is usually associated with the lower end of the welding spectrum, there’s no denying that this is a comprehensive package that will be perfect for anyone that is learning to TIG weld or needs a simple hobby welder that comes with a wealth of accessories.
- MTS-205 capable of welding up to 1/2" aluminum, alloy, mild steel, weld steel, stainless steel, copper and cast Iron. It can work well with aluminum wire, solid wire and flux cord wire, it also has the TIG Torch and STICK function.
- Advanced IGBT technology, featured wave-form control system, perfect waveform of volt and amp during, short circuits and arc burning cycles.
- Synergic controlled, very clear wire melting droplet transfer, very few spatters. fast, precise, clean arc ignition and arc ending.
- Using high quality wire feeding machine(iron) to ensure smooth wire feed, especially when using aluminum wire welding aluminum, automatic control gas solenoid valve has been installed inside the machine.
- Automatic compensation for voltage fluctuation, over-voltage protection, under voltage protection, over current protection, over load protection, automatic temperature control, fan dormancy, steeples amperage control.
TIG Welding Basics
Here is a good YouTube video teaching the basics of welding, and using a TIG welder: